What better way to end summer than to pay tribute to two of Autumn’s greatest flavors: apple and cinnamon- allow them to bring back comforting memories of apple and cinnamon tart, served warm with cream or vanilla ice cream…. Phenomenal! What about a substitute that is as delicious, but healthy? You no longer need to seek satisfaction from guilty pleasures… all you need is a bit of knowledge and effort to recreate a healthy alternative. So save the energy for your effort because I am about to provide you with the complete knowledge and ‘science’ of how to make a nutritionally balanced apple, date and cinnamon granola.
Apple, date and cinnamon granola
2-3 fresh apples
3 tbsp. dark agave nectar
5 tbsp. walnut oil
180 g organic porridge oats
25 g chopped dates
2 tsp. cinnamon
Agave is so special, it deserves an article in its own right. It is a sugar alternative that keeps blood sugar level in check and yet it is 3 times as sweet as regular sugar. Enjoy the sweet ride!
Cinnamon. Besides its divine flavor, there is a lot more going for the cinnamon. It is anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and regulates blood sugar level
Dates. Absolute sugar heaven, but keep a heart healthy, blood sugar level low and eliminate LDL cholesterol. Not bad!
Oats. Guess what? Keep a heart healthy and eliminate LDL cholesterol- notice a pattern here? This recipe is indeed a science…
Apple. One apple a day keeps the doctor away, what more to say? J
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Bake the apples for around 40 min (depending on the type and the size, apples can even take up to hour to turn into mushy consistency)
- Cool, peel and blend apples
- Preheat the walnut oil and the agave nectar into a pan. Pour oats, chopped dates, cinnamon and blended apples into the pan. Mix well
- Spread consistency into a rectangular container and bake for 25-30 min on 180 C
- Cool, cut into equal rectangular shape- ideally 6 pieces
- Arrange into ‘Pont Neuf style’, decorate with mini- banana slices