The other day I met up with a friend who lost 4kg and felt amazing after completing Dr. Joshi’s 3 week detox program. This of course intrigued me because these days you rarely encounter someone that is happy after a diet! Normally people are ecstatic at first- when motivation is high and results are great but as soon as the weight starts to stagnate we become frustrated and go back to our old routines.
When I ordered the book I was put off to find out that Dr. Joshi is a celebrity’s favorite. I have more respect for little known doctors that perform miracles but prefer to stay out of the spotlight than for business-practitioners who treat celebrities.
At the same time I cannot discredit the detox program entirely on the premise that he treated celebrities- and he is proud of it! Celebrity endorsement is a highly effective marketing strategy!
So I took a bit of time to read and absorb the detox program… and here are the best bits:
- He emphasizes on the importance of vital organs which are responsible for detoxification, and explains what happens to the toxins if not expelled properly
- Namely he explains that some toxins are NOT water soluble- lipophilic (love fat) and as a consequence unprocessed by the liver and stored in the fat
- He offers different supplement alternatives and explains why they are beneficial and when to use them
- He elaborates on acidity/alkalinity in the body- how some foods are acid forming and hence unhealthy and how we need to consume foods that balance this acidity – detoxifying our bodies
- He introduces ayurvedic doshas (metabolic types) and allows for readers to find out which type they are and how to treat deficiencies associated with their type
This book is great for someone that lives the urban live and is hooked on the standard things urbaners are hooked on- coffee, alcohol, unhealthy snacks with chemical additives (indeed many of us- I can see why his book is popular :-)). This book is also great for those that need body biochemistry explained in a very simple and accessible manner. The concept is basic and has been around for quite a long time. Still it is an effective program so why not try it out and see how it works for you!
Here are some basic guidelines on how to follow the program
- Drink plenty of water
- Do regular exercise
|White meat||Wheat, gluten, yeast|
|Fish except tuna and swordfish||Alcohol|
|Green leafy veg||Biscuits, cakes, doughnuts|
|Any veg||Jams, spreads|
|Brown rice and gluten free products||Coffee|
|Herbal teas||Sugar, chocolate or sweets|
|Soya, tofu, ricotta cheese, buffalo mozzarella||Artificially produced flavorings: ketchup, vinegar, mustard|
You can also visit his website to learn more